About Me

I just graduated from NC State with a degree in Parks, Recreation, and Tourism Management. When people asked me what I was going to do when I graduated, I said "My goal is to go 12 months without paying rent." This trip will account for at least 8 of those months. I will end up getting a masters from State but or now I am going to HAVE FUN!

Saturday, December 29, 2007

DEEP WATER SOLO

Definitely look this one up on you tube. There are some pretty crazy videos. Basically, you climb a crag that is over the ocean...deep water. Solo climbing is to climb with out a rope. Get it...Deep Water Solo!

So I have jumped off of some pretty high stuff before, but notice how I said jumped. When you climb, you usually fall. Falling from 20 meters is not good, even if you fall into water the wrong way you can break bones and stuff. So basically, you climb until you think you can't go any more then jump.

Chris and I decided that this would be a great way to end our climbing experience down in Tonsai, so we hoped on a boat and headed for the beach to find a place to stay. The next day we went to Wees Climbing Shop, and along with about 8 other guys we jumped in the longtail boat and went to find some rock to climb. Most of the climbers were REALLY good, but afraid to go to high.

I ended up doing about 5 climbs that day, and I think the highest I got was somewhere between 14 and 18 meters above the water. It was a LONG WAY DOWN, but It was awsome! Defiitely some of the coolest climbing I have ever done.

On the whole, climbing in this part of the world has been amazing. Everywhere there is just dripping limestone cliffs with stalagtites all over the place. You can really just pick one and climb it. I loved it down there and was sad to leave.

No comments: